Home Health Aid
Home Health Aide
Responsible for assisting RN Staff in providing care to patients and families who are experiencing life-limiting, progressive illnesses; and demonstrates sound understanding of the end stages of life.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide personal care (bathing, dressing, etc.) per plan of care;
- Promotes expression and venting of feelings and normalization of experience for patient, family and staff;
- Report changes in patient condition to RN Case Manager or RN on-call;
- Support and maintain regulatory compliance;
- Maintain timely and appropriate records/documents per Hospice policies and procedures;
- Maintain/enhance professional skills and requirements including education and training;
- Perform other tasks and duties as assigned;
- Take initiative as needed or when the opportunity arises;
- Provide on-call services and patient visits, as scheduled;
- Travel as required.
Formal Education Requirements
At least a H.S. Diploma or G.E.D.
Formal Experience Requirements
At least one (1) year experience as a Home Health Aide, Certified Nursing Assistant, or Personal Care Assistant is preferred.
Skills and Abilities (Competencies)
Certificates and Licenses
- Current NYS Home Health Aide Certification in good standing
- Valid Driver license and current auto insurance
Job Specific Competencies
- Clinical Judgment- Demonstrates critical thinking, analysis and critical judgment in the care of patients and families experiencing life-limiting, progressive illness through use of the nursing process to address the physical, emotional, psychosocial, and spiritual needs of the patients and families.
- Advocacy and Ethics- Incorporates ethical principles and professional standards in the care of patients and families experiencing life-limiting, progressive illnesses; as well as identifying and advocating for the wishes and preferences of patients and families.
- Professional Conduct- Demonstrates, knowledge, skills, behaviors and attitudes that are consistent with the professional standards, code of ethics, and scope of practice for hospice, palliative nursing, while maintaining professional boundaries.
- Collaboration- Actively promotes dialogue with patients and families, the healthcare team and community to address and plan for issues related to living with, and/or dying from life-limiting, progressive illnesses.
- Cultural Competence- Demonstrates cultural competence by respecting and honoring the unique diversity and characteristics of patients, families, and colleagues in hospice/palliative care.
- Facilitator of Learning- Facilitates learning for patient, family, self, members of the healthcare team and community through the development, implementation and evaluation of formal and informal education related to living with, and/or dying from a life-limiting, progressive illness.
- Communication- Demonstrates the use of effective verbal, non-verbal and written communication with patients, families, members of the healthcare team and community in order to therapeutically address and accurately convey the hospice/palliative care needs of patients and families.
- Maintain ethical standards, confidentiality and professional conduct;
- Strong communication skills including listening, verbal and written;
- Ability to work in a team setting, collaborate with others and adapt to a changing environment, while balancing priorities;
- Adhere to mission, vision, values, operating principles and strategic priorities;
- Must be proficient with electronic medical records;
- Ability to complete daily documentation/timesheets, etc., and other work in a timely manner with limited supervision.
- Multi-lingual competency is desirable.
Working Conditions and Environmental Hazards
This position works in contact with risks associated with blood-borne pathogens and needle sticks. Care must be taken to follow all health and safety requirements.
Position requires a moderate level of independent judgment in performing responsibilities. Position also involves moving and lifting patients, and carrying light loads and supplies with or without assistance.